The structure was built in 1882 as an industrial complex serving the city of Venice. The complex was closed in 1955 and, after various changes of fortune, 13 buildings forming part of an old mill were carefully restored and transformed into a 5 Star Hotel in 2007.
The hotel, measuring approximately 40,000 square metres, is one of a kind. It features 379 rooms and suites, 14 meeting rooms, a conference centre and various restaurants and bars.
The renovation project was extensive and involved work on all surfaces, from marble, ceramic and wooden floors to walls and plasterboard structures. These were renovated with various types of decorations, including painting, stucco, glazing and wallpaper.
Further renovation work involved the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing services, the luxury furniture in solid wood, the sophisticated upholstery and the hand-crafted chandeliers.